The focus of this week's lessons was Google, something familiar to us all. Yet I learnt things about Google and tools which I never knew of till this lesson. I found the Google tips video very insightful, especially the part where it teaches how we can find presentations online, or insert * in our search and type it like a statement rather than a question.
Something which captureded my interest in class was Google Trends. I do not understand how I have been using Google all these years, yet never realied the existence of Google Trends, or even the many other google functions such as the translator and dictionary. Google Trends appeals to me because I like the idea of knowing what is interesting to others around the world.
What is even more interesting is Froogle, Google's comparison shopping search engine, where users can compare prices for particular products all at one place. I've been meaning to buy a film camera for some time now, and when I typed it into Froogle, it allowed me tohttp://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=2554577019747194959&postID=5380621630488506348 sort results by 1) relevance, 2) product price, 3) product rating, and 4) seller rating.
On the left-hand side of the page, there are options where I can actually specify the price range before my search, and even select a particular camera brand I want to search for. I love how Froogle allows for such a detailed search, and once again, I cannot believe that I have not known about this till now!
This is an extension of the video we watched in class, on how Google has information of each of us. It's ten minutes long, sorry! But watch till the end if you can, I especially like the pizza part. I have definitely learnt more about Google this past week than I have in the last few years, and that is something I am glad about. To sum this post up, I would say that yes, Google is an amazing tool, but let's not forget that everything we post and search for on the Internet is traceable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment